CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Early Reviewers


Today's question: Early Reviewers- do you participate? How many books (approximately) have you received through the program? Have you liked them generally? What's your favorite ER book? Do you participate in the discussion group on LT?

Yes, I do participate in Early Reviewers. I joined the program in January, and since then I have received six books. Here's a list (click on the titles to read my full reviews)

  • Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank - In February, I received Bulls Island from LTER, and though I was thrilled just to get my first book, I was a little disappointed in the book itself.
  • The Last Oracle by James Rollins - I was selected to receive The Last Oracle in March, and it was considerably more enjoyable than my February selection.
  • The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton - In April, I got my third book in a row, The Wednesday Sisters. So far this has been my favorite of all the ER books I've received.
  • The Richest Season by Maryann Mcfadden - For the fourth month in a row, I got a book from ER. May's book was The Richest Season, which wasn't particularly memorable.
  • Forsaken by James David Jordan - After four straight months, I was passed over in June, but I got a Forsaken in July. This one was not bad in the beginning, but it lost me somewhere during the last half.
  • The Charlemagne Pursut by Steve Berry - Again I was passed over in August (really 5 books in 6 months is a pretty solid record, so I wasn't surprised). I was surprised, though, when The Charlemagne Pursuit showed up at my house announcing that I'd gotten it through ER - apparently they had extra copies, and after the ER lottery was determined, an extra set were chosen, and I was a lucky recipient. I haven't read this one, but it's up pretty high on my list, and I'll be reviewing it soon.

I used to be pretty active in the LT ER group. Lately, though, I find myself much more likely to 'chat' in the ARC Junkies group, and I'm also more choosy about the books I request from the ER program. At the beginning I just thought the idea of getting a book in the mail (a free book in the mail!) was so cool that it hardly mattered what it was. Now, I'm far more selective. Of this month's pretty considerable batch, I think I requested 3 books. And, if I don't get one, I'm far less disappointed than I used to be. I know there are plenty of authors, publishers, and publicists out there who are in need of reviews.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found myself being more picky as well. Instead of going for any book I could be interested in, I only go for what I REALLY want to read, only what I would consider cold requesting if I didn't get it. With 40 books waiting to be reviewed, I don't need an 'eh' read.

Melissa said...

I much choosier than I was at first too. And I agree that I chat much more at ARC Junkies than in the ER thread.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Ever since I joined I've been really picky about what books I request, because I hate reading books that don't interest me. So I normally only choose 1 or 2 books, but my luck has been pretty good.

Cathy said...

I had the same thing happen with me and The Charlemagne Pursuit. I've already read and reviewed it.

Anonymous said...

Same here really. I've become more selective knowing that I can get several of the books through cold requests and now that I have a huge mountain of ARCs waiting to be reviewed.

I also participate more in ARC junkies now. I feel like I know everyone because I read all their blogs!

Anonymous said...

I love ARC junkies! I didn't request many of the books in this month's batch either.

Anonymous said...

The Wednesday Sisters is in my TBR pile - glad to see it's good.

Anonymous said...

I only requested a few this month, too. At some point it occurred to me that while I absolutely LOVE reading, writing and reviewing books, I only have so much space in my cramped house... and I'll probably wind up buying a million books myself! Space has become a serious consideration now, especially since I have a hard time giving any of my books away! :(

Lenore Appelhans said...

I know what you mean - I've gotten a lot choosier too. And I spend most of my LT time at ARC junkies :)

Anonymous said...

The Booking Through Thursday question just reminds me that my copy of Map of Bones by James Rollin is still sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

Traci said...

The Last Oracle was my first Rollins book, and I really liked it a lot. I ended up buying 3 of his previous novels because of the book. Of course, I haven't gotten around to reading them, yet.

Anonymous said...

*The Wednesday Sisters* is on my wish list; I didn't get it from LTER, and just haven't gotten around to buying it yet :)

I've been pretty lucky with the books I've gotten thru LTER, especially liked *The Genizah at the House of Shepher* and *Hurry Down Sunshine*.

Yes, I'm picky about what I request!