CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank


I received an ARC of Bulls Island as part of the Early Reviewers program at Library Thing. Because of this, and other perhaps less idiotic reasons, I had high hopes for this one. I wanted to be able to write a glowing review. Unfortunately, it was not to be. There were so many things that bothered me with this novel, not the least of which was an incredibly long prelude. There was so much fretting by the main characters concerning what would happen when the story actually got started that I can only describe it as a 140 page pity party. While I'm on the subject of the main characters, I have to say that I felt absolutely no sympathy for these two completely self-involved narcissists. I know I was supposed to be rooting for them, but they were both so unlikeable. Top all this off with an abrupt writing style and oddly forced dialogue that at times seemed like ill-advised public service announcements, and you've got a book that was a chore to finish. I will say that of the Library Thing reviews, I seem to be fairly alone in my opinion. Most of the other people seemed to really dig it. So, perhaps it's just me.

0 comments: