CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Questionnaire

Today's topic is actually a series of questions.



What was the last book you bought?
Inkdeath, by Cornelia Funke. It's the third in the Inkheart series, and I am so looking forward to it. I'm contemplating going back and rereading the other two, though, because it's been a while in between books, and I know I've forgotten things.

Name a book you have read MORE than once
Well, I've read all of the Harry Potters more than once (all but Deathly Hallows more than twice, and some quite a bit more....). Discounting those, I've read The Stand by Stephen King four times.


Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
No Opportunity Wasted by Phil Keoghan sort of made me think about how much of my life I've spent waiting for the next thing to happen...waiting to get married (I was barely 22 when I married, so I didn't wait too long), waiting to get a bigger/better house, waiting to move out of Vermont (that was a long wait)....just waiting for things to get better in general, and really my life wasn't bad - I just wanted more. Though NOW is more about taking chances and doing things you think you can't afford (financially and time-wise), it still made me reevaluate my life a bit and see that this is the only one I'm going to get, and I should be proactive in either making it better or accepting and enjoying what I have right now. Now, I won't say that the book has made me a happier person (we moved from VT to a wonderful place in VA, and I love it here, so I'll credit that more than anything), but it has given me a bit of perspective.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
I have to admit that a pretty cover goes a long way with me. If a book has an ugly cover, I'm not picking it up, unless someone (someone I know or a review I read) specifically mentions how brilliant it is. If, on the other hand, the cover is really striking, I'll pick up the book and read the blurb. If it sounds like something I'd be interested in, I'll probably read it.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Fiction. The only non-fiction I really read are travel memoirs, and those are few and far between. I will occasionally read kid's non-fiction, but generally those are preparation for school.

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
Gripping plot - I don't enjoy overly flowery writing. I want the writing to be good - even the best plot can be run aground through bad writing, but lovely writing with no plot is not something I want to read.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
Well, there is the obvious Harry Potter selection - I love so many of those characters, but aside from those, I think my favorite character is Odd Thomas (brought to life through Dean Koontz). I love Odd Thomas - he's so sweet and witty and lovable. I am not a fan of horror at all, so I'm not a big Koontz reader, but I adore the Odd Thomas books.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?

  • Nation, by Terry Pratchett (which has been there far too long because I'm not particularly enjoying it.)
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister by Jenny Nimmo (which is on my iPod, and I am thoroughly enjoying.)
  • The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller (which I haven't gotten into enough to know if I'm enjoying it.)
What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
I last finished A Risk Worth Taking by Robin Pilcher, which was an audiobook. I'm working on the review now, so I won't tell you whether I loved it or not. The last book I read that wasn't an audiobook was Hot Mess by Julie Kraut and Shallon Lester (see my review).

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Sadly, yes. Crime and Punishment is one that springs to mind. I'm sure there were others, but not too many because I have this OCD need to finish the books I start. I very nearly gave up on The Hobbit, but I trudged through that one.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the cover of a book. Some covers are so bad, they just turn me off on the book.

Anonymous said...

Oh...yes, Harry Potter. I like him in the first 2 parts, but after that I just lost interest. I am talking about the movies by the way

Anonymous said...

Oh, Inkdeath! I must read that soon. Thanks for reminding me to find it!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Well, you've gotten further into Crime and Punishment than I have (a measly 3 pages here) but I will read it someday.

Karen Harrington said...

Good post. These are addictive!

SmilingSally said...

I used to plow through a poorly written or little liked book to the bitter end, but now I have decided to treat my reading time as a precious commodity.

Sunny said...

I think Stephen King is a wonderful writer...I havent read anything of his in a loooong time, though. I should!

You know, learning to just live and not keep waiting for things to get better is a good lesson (that I need to remember!). It's really easy for me to get sucked into the waiting thing.

Beth F said...

oooh. I didn't realize that Inkdeath was out. I'll have to look for it.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely hate movie tie-in covers, and those with seals like "an Oprah book club selection."

This question pretty much sums up many of the past ones.

I mostly read fiction, although once in a while a non-fiction, like history or a biography will interest me.

My favorite genres are historical fiction, foreign literature, and classics.

My complete answer.

Anonymous said...

I've bought many books because the cover art grabbed my attention.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I just got around to picking up the first Inkheart book, I missed out on this when it first came out.

I've read The Stand quite a few times too, I was drawn in when all the different versions were released.