CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Audio Book Review: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


ISBN: 978-1419311116
Publisher: Listening Library (Audio)
Read By: Jim Dale (unabridged edition)
Reading Level: 9-12
First Line: All children, except one, grow up.
One Word Review: Enchanting

The story of Peter Pan is very well known, but I wonder just how many people have actually read the book. Well, I had never read Barrie's story, so I started this audiobook with the expectations that it would be a fun diversion but nothing really more special than the Disney adaptation. I could not have been more wrong.

First, as to the story, it really is quite magical. It's a sweet and imaginative tale that will delight children and adults with excitement and fun at every turn. Peter is not nearly as one dimensional as...well, the cartoon version of himself, and I even found myself feeling rather sorry for Captain Hook and Smee.

Moving on to the audio aspect of the book... I'm certain Barrie's wit and creativity would jump off the page if you were to read the written version, but I have to say that Jim Dale's rendition is brilliant. His pacing is perfect, and the voices he does are fantastic. I honestly think this is one of the best audiobooks, if not the best, I've ever experienced.

Rating on the book itself: 4 out of 5 stars
Rating on the audio aspect: 5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

Michele said...

I'd love to have a copy of this for my kids. I've read the original book (and yes, you're right about Peter!) and think it would be fun on audio.

I know there have been a lot of movies (excluding Disney), but there was one within the past few years that looked magical. I didn't recognize any of the actors in the trailer, but it sure looked like a good interpretation.

Anonymous said...

Hosah for the original book... It's a lot darker than you imagined, too, I bet :)

For a new Peter Pan adventure that's based on Barrie's own idea for more... click on my name!

BELIEVE!

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love Jim Dale? I, like many others, fell in love with him when he did Harry Potter. I've had Peter Pan on my wish list for over a year, and just learned that he's also done Alice in Wonderland. I remember when he announced he would be narrating the classics and I thought, oh boy, I can not wait to listen to them all!