CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: LT and RL


Today's question: LT and RL (real life)- do you have friends in real life that you met through LibraryThing? Have you attended any LT meet-ups in your area? Would you be open to attending meet-ups or is LT strictly an online thing for you?

I've met some great LTers online, but no, I've never met up with any in real life. Library Thing is unique for me, because typically I'm not very social online. While I haven't been overly outgoing even on LT, I'm certainly more so that in any other online venue. As for whether I would consider getting together with other LTers in real life, I would say yes. Again, this is fairly unique to LT. Although, in general I would think it could be risky to meet people you 'meet' online, I feel like most of the people on Library Thing are like me - crazy, but crazy about the same thing: books. Which makes them my kind of crazy, and I would feel totally comfortable meeting them in real life. So, if there happened to be an LT (more specifically, the arc-loving bloggers) meet-up in the future in or around the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, I'd definitely be interested in attending.

14 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I think we need an ARC lovers convention - ha!

Library Cat said...

Like my husband says - crazy nerdery! My kind of crazy too!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Richmond, VA, and like you, I've never met online friends in real life because I also tend not to be very social on the web. Outside of Facebook, LT is my only "social networking" site. I'd be open to meeting LT friends, though, because we could always revert to book talk to avoid the awkward silences.

Lisa said...

Lenore, I think that's a great idea!

I figure that since I'm online and I'm not a crazed psychopath, chances are lots of other people online are pretty normal, too. I have made some of my best friends online - when my best friend was married two years ago, all of her bridesmaids were friends that she met online, including me, the maid of honor!

John (@bookdreamer) said...

. well the brother of a friend of mine met a series of g/f's and eventually his wife via the internet as too busy to go to night clubs and singles networks so it must work for some!

I was dragged to a singles social club recently by a friend as he was desperate to hook up and too shy to go alone...everyone reeked of desperation. Not pleasant.

jlshall said...

LT is really the only social networking site I keep up with, too. Like you, I sort of feel I can trust people who are just as book-obsessed as I am. But my husband is always reminding me that trusting online is a little different from trusting in the "real" world.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I grew up in your neck of the woods - I graduated from Lake Taylor High School in 1975. Boy, that makes me sound ancient.

Michele said...

ARC lover - that's me! I am enamored with that feature of LT and being a blogger! I'm up for a convention too! LOL

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I've always figured that the really crazy people aren't likely to be stalking around on book-related websites - then again I've seen some booklovers get downright insane over cheap books at church booksales!!!

Cathy said...

I'm a lot less social online than I used to be simply because I'm married now and don't have the time. I do have to admit that now I've started blogging that's changed a bit, so I'm getting more online social again. Fellow book addicts just have a way of dragging me out of the woodowork!

Anonymous said...

"my kind of crazy" ... great quote! We could all get t-shirt printed and wear them to the convention :)

Kathleen Gilligan said...

I'm not very social online usually. I really think that LT has been good for me- it's made me come out of my shell :)

Anonymous said...

Why is it that all the VA LTers I live on the opposite sides of the state from Roanoke? Oh well... I've never been to Hampton, but I hear that it is really nice.

Anonymous said...

While I'm shy to meet strangers, I'm intrigued to discover who share the share books with me on LT. :)