CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 18, 2008

First Daughter by Eric Van Lustbader


ISBN: 978-0765321701
Publisher: Forge Books
Hardcover: 400 pages
Genre: Fiction
First Line: Alli Carson sat in the back of the armor-plated limo, sandwiched between Sam and Nina, her Secret Service detail.
One Word Review: Timely

When President-Elect Edward Carson's 19 year old daughter, Alli, is kidnapped just one month before his inauguration ceremony, he implores his friend, ATF agent Jack McClure, to help find her. Jack must deal with a multitude of obstacles during the desperate search for Alli and her kidnapper, including his own dyslexia, a current president who doesn't appear to want Jack to succeed, and the anguish he feels over the recent death of his own daughter.

First Daughter captures its reader from the few paragraphs. The story starts off with a bang, and continues with a fast pace and a tightly woven plot. As Jack searches for Alli, we catch glimpses of his past. It not only adds depth to his character, but also adds another element of surprise and anticipation. There are many political and religious questions addressed throughout the book. It would have been easy to turn this otherwise solid book into a monologue of what the author believes, but it doesn't read that way at all. Instead, it allows the reader to ask themselves how they feel about the concept of the separation of church and state in the United States. It's certainly a timely topic considering the state of the government today.

What Lustbader does best, in my opinion, is develop the character of Jack McClure. If, as I would imagine, this turns into a series, it'll be all the better because we've already been introduced to Jack and have shared his secrets and fears. Imagine a dyslexic Jack Bauer with a little bit of Alex Cross and a dash of Jack Ryan, and you'll get a sense of Jack McClure. He's made all the more human through his flaws, and it's what, I think, people will love about him.

First Daughter is a first rate political thriller that will grab you from the beginning and keep you on the edge of your seat until the end.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours is the second review I've read that says, essentially, "I hope this novel is the first of a series because the main character is GREAT"

Uggh, another book I still haven't gotten to!

Anonymous said...

I love how they have really developed this character. Your review makes it sound fantastic.

Ruth King said...

I LOVED the character development in this book. Jack is a great character.

In my interview with Eric Van Lustbader, he said that he does have more plans for Jack. I'm ecstatic about that! I can't wait to read more.

windycindy said...

I am trying to figure out why the President wouldn't want Jack to succeed in finding his own daughter! Jack will have to be one amazing person to solve this dilemma. Thanks for a great review. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Rebekah (monkeygirlsmama) said...

Great review. I'm going to have to look for this book now.
Rebekah

littleminx@cox.net

caite said...

Ohhh...the first in a series perhaps.

The books sounds very good from your review...and I would love to be entered in your contest for a copy of it.

caitemaire@hotmail.com

Alyce said...

I hope it is a series! The book sounds so interesting - I can't wait to read it!

Tina said...

I do not normally read his stuff, but this sounds great.

Unknown said...

I love books that have really developed characters. It sounds really interesting even though I don't like politics.

pintolinda said...

I enjoyed your review and would like to read First Daughter now. I like getting to know the characters in novels well--like old friends.
pintolinda (at) hotmail (dot) com

llkent said...

Another author I will add to my list of must reads.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great review. this book does seem to be highly interesting, and it's good to know it grabs you quick and doesn't let go. those books are always nice.

-lauren
lauren51990@aol.com

judybrittle said...

You have made the book sound like a great read. I love how you said that it grabs you fast and keeps you interested throughout. The strong characters is what I love when I read any good book.

Amber said...

This sounds much more intriguing than that dumb movie starring Katie Holmes.

Anita Yancey said...

I loved your review. You really made the character of Jack come alive for me. This is a book I would definitely enjoy reading.
ayancey@dishmail.net

Anonymous said...

When you say "Imagine a dyslexic Jack Bauer with a little bit of Alex Cross and a dash of Jack Ryan, and you'll get a sense of Jack McClure.", we have a pretty good idea that this is an interesting protagonist. I would enjoy this book.

Booklogged said...

Wonderful review. I like a book that grabs me and keeps my attention.