CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Book Addict's 12 Step Program


Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over our library - that our shelves had become unmanageable.

Step 2 - Came to believe that LibraryThing could restore us to sanity.

Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our books over to the care of LibraryThing.

Step 4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our books.

Step 5 - Admitted to LT, to ourselves and to other bibliophiles the exact nature of our addiction to all things bookish.

Step 6 - Were entirely ready to remove all these books...some of these books...none of the books, but we'll try ever so hard not to buy too many more.

Step 7 - Humbly asked Hubby / Home Depot guy to build more shelves.

Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had ignored while reading, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Step 9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would mean we had to stop reading.

Step 10 - Continued to take personal inventory of our stacks and when we were overflowing, promptly removed our couches / beds / refrigerators to make room for more bookcases.

Step 11 - Sought through email and blogging to improve our contact with publishers who would send us more free books.

Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.


Hello, my name is Traci, and I am a book addict.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sick sad thing, is this doesn't seem terribly exaggerated... it looks like my present a bit, and certainly my future... :)

Anonymous said...

I love this. I just showed it to my fiance and he said, "yep, that's you," LOL!

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Lol that just says it all.

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! My name is Jennifer and I'm proud to be a member of your group. I hope to never be free of this addiction. ;)

Literary Feline said...

My name is Wendy and I am a bookaholic. Great list--I fit it so well. I should be sad about that, but I'm not in the least. Haha

Cindy B said...

Not me, not me, not me! I am totally in control of my books. No, really. I am. So there. And I mean it. Really.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez. This list is hilarious and so true for me. Scarily so....

caite said...

Yes...so true, so true.
I admit it. I am an addict. There, are you happy? But as addictions go, well it's not that bad, is it? Is it?

Oh heck...like you will tell me the truth. You all are no doubt as bad as me!

I need to copy this down so I can work through the steps...

The Tome Traveller said...

LOVE it! That's me, too. At least it's an addiction that can't hurt anyone else. (Unless one of our big piles of books falls on them, that is)!

avisannschild said...

My "hubby" said, "That's about right, but we're not getting rid of the fridge."

Hi, my name is Avis and I'm a book addict...

Great post!