CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Recommendations

Today's topic: Recommendations. Do you use LT's recommendations feature? Have you found any good books by using it? Do you use the anti-recommendations, or the "special sauce" recommendations? How do you find out about books you want to read?

Do you use LT's recommendations feature?
Yep. I love it.

Have you found any good books by using it?
A few - Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo, Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, and The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer were recommended, and all were pretty good fits. I've got way more on my to be read and wish list that I've yet to read, including Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross, The Wish List by Eoin Colfer, and The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman.

Do you use the anti-recommendations, or the "special sauce" recommendations?
I've looked at the unsuggester for kicks, though I think it's fairly useless as an actual tool. I mean, I'm supposed to look to it to what? See what not to read, right? But the thing is the titles are either completely obvious like A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature or The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals (really??) or are totally inaccurate like quite a few Neil Gaiman's that I would totally read and The English Patient which is actually in my library.
On the other hand, I think the member recommendations are pretty helpful.

How do you find out about books you want to read?
Recommendations from places like LibraryThing and Amazon, for sure. I think LT is probably more accurate because Amazon takes into account things I've purchased for myself as well as my husband and my kids. LT's recommendations are based solely on my books. Another thing I like on LT is being able to see what other people have in their libraries, and if I find someone whose taste seems pretty well in line with my own, I'll peruse their choices for suggestions. I also read reviews on the blogs I read. And, if someone I know suggests a book, I'll pick it up sometimes, but that doesn't happen too often.

Oh, and I'm always open to recommendations from you all!

11 comments:

jlshall said...

Yes, my un-suggester brought up a whole list of Neil Gaiman titles for me "not to read." And Neil Gaiman is somebody I'd definitely read, so I'm not sure why it's telling me not to. I even have "Coraline" in my library list. Strange. Maybe it just doesn't like Neil Gaiman.

Lenore Appelhans said...

my unsuggester was mainly christian books - even after I added a whole bunch of christian books.

Anonymous said...

I don't use Amazon's recommendations ever...lol! My reason is the same as yours. Our whole family uses it too.

Anonymous said...

If you want some reccommendations, visit my post. I made some suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love peeking into other people's LT libraries to see what they have going on? I've found several great ones that way.

Cathy said...

I do love roaming up and down the shelves of other people's libraries at LT. I've found some gems (both literary and human) that way.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing that the unsuggester said to me was that I wouldn't like the Christian books because I had Gaiman, and I wouldn't like Gaiman because I have Christian books... Say what???

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

My unsuggester also brought up a few Gaiman titles and I had 2 of them listed as 5 star reads - it sure is weird.

Anonymous said...

Unsuggester is really getting kicked in the shins today. It's not very useful like you said. Neil Gaiman is on my list, too. I wonder why his books seem to show up on everyone elses as well?

Anonymous said...

It's me again, but more stuff has happened since the last time I was here. You have been nominated at J. Kaye’s Book Blog. Click here for the post.

Ruth King said...

I'm reading The Ruby and the Smoke right now. It's excellent! The characters are so vivid.