CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Gilding Lily by Tatiana Boncompagni


ISBN: 978-0-06-145101-0
Publisher: Harper Collins
Paperback: 320 pages
Genre: Fiction (Women's Fiction)
First Line: Sweeping up the main staircase of the Ludwig Collection, the Upper East Side cultural landmark and ultimate beneficiary of that evening's Spring Showers-themed fund-raiser, Lily Grace managed to ruin what would have been a perfectly splendid entrance by stomping on the hem of her sea green silk gown and falling down in the middle of the stairs.
One Word Review: Sumptuous
Tentative Release Date: September 2008

One would think that Lily Bartholomew has it all - the right husband, the right NYC apartment, the right connections, and a baby she adores. Then, why does everything seem to be falling apart at the seams. Catty New York society 'friends,' an even cattier mother-in-law, a dwindling bank account, and an often absent husband are just some of the hurdles that Lily faces as she attempts to reclaim her social standing as a Top Girl.

To be honest, when I first started this book, I had some preconceived notions. I figured it would be a lot of glitz and glamour with little substance. I'm happy to say that I was completely off the mark. Tatiana Boncompagni's (say that three times fast) first novel is genuine and well-written, witty and also compassionate. I loved Lily. She was real and honest, not perfect, but completely believable. Her insecurities and feelings of doubt in the face of not-too-subtle insults from the socialites and her monster mother-in-law, had me rooting for her from the beginning. At times, I felt I would have liked to see a little more backbone in her confrontations, but I think her actions were true to the character Boncompagni created.

Reading Gilding Lily was like being a fly on the wall of all the biggest events of high society. It was a completely decadent and voyeuristic experience,. Being so far removed from that sort of life, it was was fascinating being able to slip on those thousand dollar shoes for a while and see how the other half live.

Tatiana Boncompagni has truly outdone herself in this wonderful debut novel.

1 comments:

Kathleen Gilligan said...

This isn't something I'd normally pick up. I'll check it out, and I love the cover art :)