CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: TBR



Okay–here was an interesting article by Christopher Schoppa in the Washington Post.

Avid readers know all too well how easy it is to acquire books — it’s the
letting go that’s the difficult part. … During the past 20 years, in which books
have played a significant role in both my personal and professional lives, I’ve
certainly had my fair share of them (and some might say several others’ shares)
in my library. Many were read and saved for posterity, others eventually, but
still reluctantly, sent back out into the world.
But there is also a category
of titles that I’ve clung to for years, as they survived numerous purges,
frequent library donations and countless changes of residence. I’ve yet to read
them, but am absolutely certain I will. And should. When, I’m not sure, as I’m
constantly distracted by the recent, just published and soon to be published
works.
So, the question is his: “What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?

I have a really hard time getting rid of books. We've moved 4 times in the last 5 years, and every time I try to get rid of a few, but it's really difficult - especially with the ones I've not yet read. So, I have a pretty good amount of TBRs that have been on my shelves for years, including:

Seriously, I could probably list 100 more. So, what about you? Do you obsessively hold on to books you've never even read??

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a couple of good ones on there - I loved The Pilot's Wife and Gone With the Wind.

Anonymous said...

I've started and not been able to finish The Red Tent and Alias Grace (even though Atwood is one of my favorite authors).
I rarely lose interest enough to just stop, so it must've been pretty drastic!

Susan said...

I'm with you on The Mists of Avalon, and I fully intend to pick up Gone with the Wind today at Half-Price books. I've been meaning to read it for some time, but you know how that goes - great new books seem to come out every week, and who am I to ignore them? :)

Karen Harrington said...

Ack! Gone with the Wind!!! Drop everything and read now. :)

All the other reads look great too,

SmilingSally said...

I've also read both The Pilot's Wife and Gone With the Wind and vote for you to "Go for it!"

Wendi said...

Ohhh - I've read (and loved three of the books on your list!) The Red Tent, The Mists of Avalon, and Gone With the Wind!

Oh - I think the first time I read Mists of Avalon, I must have been around 13 years old! I have read it quite a few times.

:) Fun post! Wendi
http://wendisbookcorner.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved The Red Tent and Gone with the Wind! I see the latter book especially has many votes. I suggest you read both of them!

Amy said...

I found The Red Tent very engrossing.

Now I do have to say that I totally understand continuing to buy books in a series. I have faithfully bought the latest books in series that I love even though I'm several books behind. I will read them one day!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

You must give Gone With The Wind a shot, even if you've seen the movie, the book is well worth the read.

I've read Alias Grace, not my favorite Atwood, I found it very slow and drawn out.

Urrggh the Sue Grafton ABC series - I too have some of them, but have only read 'A' - I think it was the novelty of it that made me start buying them.

Toni said...

I say go for it with Gone with the Wind! You won't be disappointed. The Pilot's Wife is a good weekender read!

Anonymous said...

I have to re-read Gone with the Wind since I have never reviewed the book.

I never know if any of the Sue Grafton books are related. But I would probably with the A. :)

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I have at least 50 books on my bookshelves that I've acquired somehow and have not read. They're mostly books that I think I should read but never feel like it. I'm definately with the others - you must read Gone with the Wind, bump it up to the top of your TBR!

Anonymous said...

I loved The Red Tent. Haven't read any of the others, though.