CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Book Review: Constitution Translated for Kids by Cathy Travis



ISBN: 978-0981453415
Publisher: Ovation Books
Paperback: 112 pages
Reading Level: Ages 9-12
One Word Review: Informative

Constitution Translated for Kids is a simple translation of the U.S. Constitution including the Bill of Rights and Amendments. It is written in two columns, with the original text on one side and the translation, written on a 5th grade reading level, on the other side. It also contains a timeline of important events leading up to the creation of the Constitution and a section of student exercises.

This is a fantastic resource for anyone wishing to better understand the Constitution. It's written at a level middle graders will comprehend, but it would also be useful for teenagers and adults who may not always 'get' the wording in the original document. The side-by-side format is ingenious, allowing the reader to easily find specific sections or Amendments.

As a homeschooling mom, I particularly appreciate the exercise section at the end which provides proposed Amendments and points of discussion. There's also a page of hypothetical situations which will allow the student to determine what if any Constitutional privileges are violated. My only complaint is that for that particular section there's no answer key - it would have been helpful just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. But, aside from that one tiny thing, I thought the book was an exceptional tool that would be extremely useful to teachers and anyone interested in learning more about the foundation of the U.S. government.

Buy this book on Amazon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review! I'm going to put this on the bookshelf for my kids.

Anonymous said...

Great review of an interesting (and educational) book! The individual counties should emulate this excellent example and and do the same for the official voter's bulletin. I'm more confused about the issues after I read my bulletin. Anyone?

Anonymous said...

I thought this was really good, too. I needed the information it provided just as much as a student would. Great review!

G said...

That sounds like something I would have loved to have had when we did the constitution unit in middle school. Defiantly added to my TBR list!