CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Favorite Authors


Today's Question: Favorite Authors. Who do you have named in your LT account as favorite authors? Why did you choose them? How many people share your choices? Can you share a picture of one of them?

I actually have 21 favorite authors. In alphabetical order, they are:

  • Peter Abrahams (including me, he has 5 fans - the fewest of all my favorites)
  • Jane Austen (has 1103 fans - the most of all my favorites)
  • Dan Brown (I know, I know - don't throw anything!! He's got 130 fans, so I'm not the only one, okay!?!)
  • Michael Buckley (author of the Sister's Grimm books, in case you're scratching your head on this one - has 7 fans)
  • Lauren Child (creator of the wonderful Charlie and Lola books - has 12 fans)
  • Eoin Colfer (has 67 fans)
  • Michael Crichton (has 153 fans)
  • Clive Cussler (has 53 fans)
  • Kate Dicamillo (has only 13 fans - I'm actually surprised this one is so low.)
  • Fannie Flagg (has 38 fans)
  • Cornelia Funke (has 48 fans)
  • John Grisham (has 126 fans - he's a sentimental favorite. I haven't read anything of his lately that I was crazy over, but The Pelican Brief will always be one of my favorite novels.)
  • Jan Karon (has 34 fans)
  • Janette Oke (has 15 fans)
  • Rosamunde Pilcher (has 22 fans)
  • Terry Pratchett (has 893 fan)
  • Philip Pullman (has 746 fans)
  • Nora Roberts (has 211 fans)
  • J.K. Rowling (has 1,081 fans)
  • William Shakespeare (has 532 fans)
  • Nicholas Sparks (has 82 fans)

I only favorited an author if I absolutely loved more than one of their books. If I had to narrow it down to just five, I would pick Funke, Rowling, Pilcher, Crichton, and Pratchett. I share 7 favorite authors with one other user, 6 with three other users, and from there it goes up quite a bit.

If I'm forced to pick an absolute favorite author, it would be Cornelia Funke because of one book - Inkheart. Here is a photo of Mrs. Funke.

So, what about you? Who are your favorite authors, and why?

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! That's quite a list!

jlshall said...

So JK Rowling has twice as many fans as Shakespeare. Interesting. You've got a nice mix of favorites!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like I need to check out Inkheart. Very high praise!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I'm quite surprised that Terry Prachett doesn't have a higher number of fans.
It was pretty depressing to see that Shakespeare had so few fans.
I haven't read Inkheart yet, but my son says I must soon :)

Anonymous said...

Traci, I haven't used this feature in LT yet.

There are several authors on your list I've never heard of.

Now you have me curious about Inkheart!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Actually, now that you mention it, Eoin Colfer is another author from whom I have read more than 3 books I enjoyed (my cutoff).

Have been meaning to read Inkheart in the original German for a long time!

Cathy said...

One thing this week's question is going to make me do is finish working on my favorite authors at LT! LOL

caite said...

I have never read anything by Pratchett before but I just started "Nation", so now I am even more hopeful it will be good!

Traci said...

jlshall - yeah, I was surprised by that as well - not that Rowling had so many but Shakespeare had so few.

About Inkheart - I'm biased, because I love it, but I think anyone who's even remotely interested in fantasy books, likes books about books, or likes children's books would really like - if not love - it. I don't really know why I have such strong feelings about it, but I've read it several times, and I just love the setting, the characters, the story - it has everything.

Caite - I'm reading Nation at the moment, too, and it's not my favorite so far (I'm only about 60 pages in, so it may get better). I've read only one of his adult Discworld books (which are the ones he's so wildly popular for), but I adore the Wee Free Men trilogy.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! You have a nice list!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your list reminds me that I have always intended to but have never read any Fannie Flagg. I must do that someday. Good list!

Marie Cloutier said...

Great selection!

The Budgeting Diva said...

We share one!

S. Krishna said...

Your list makes me really feel like I need to work on mine! I love Crichton though.

Ali said...

Well you and I have different tastes but you have quite a bit of overlap with my 11-year old. :-) He hasn't read Inkheart yet, but liked another Cornelia Funke book, as well as Eoin Colfer and JK Rowling, and will probably read Terry Pratchett and Phillip Pullman soon.

Traci said...

Ali,

I think I have the attention span of an 11-year old, so it makes sense. It's good for me, because my 10 year old son and I have the same taste in books, too, so we share a lot. Whenever I pick out a new book, he'll always ask if it's something he could read. More often than not, it is.