CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 7, 2008

7 Random Bookish Things

I was tagged by two people for this meme recently - well, maybe a little more like a while ago, but things have been super crazy around the house of Traci lately, so I'm hoping that Wendi and Sunny will understand. So, anyway, here goes...


  1. I consider myself a very eclectic reader. By that, I mean that I'll read books from nearly any genre.
  2. If I were going to be stranded on a desert island (and handily enough had the foresight to bring along a book), I would like to be stranded with Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke. It is my favorite book, and I believe I could read it over and over without ever tiring of it.
  3. The book that stands out in my mind as the worst book I ever finished (this is an important distinction because I've surely read bits of worse books that I gave up on) was She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Why I finished it still puzzles me, but I did, and it never got any better for me.
  4. Occasionally, as I'm reading, I will put the faces of famous people to the names of characters in a book. I recently did this with Joseph Teller's The Tenth Case. My Jaywalker was portrayed by Tate Donovan, while Ali Larter was who I imagined Samara to be. Couldn't even begin to tell you why on either count.
  5. I can not read more than one book at a time.
  6. I am almost incapable of getting rid of books. Even if I read it and didn't like it, I still have a hard time letting go. I love shopping at used book stores, but I hang my head in shame when they ask if I have any store credit. Alas, you have to actually bring books in to obtain a credit, and I am just unwilling to part with them. The fact that I've moved four times in the past five years (and will likely be moving overseas within the next 6 months) has yet to cause me to whittle down my selections. FYI, if you're moving yourself, and you have a bunch a friends help, don't mark all the boxes of books as 'Books'. Mark some of them 'Medical Equipment' or 'Female Items' so the boys who're toting your heavy books up and down stairs don't give you the evil eye as they pass you in the hallway. Just a suggestion.
  7. I don't remember too many books from my childhood, but one of my favorites that I do remember is I'm My Mommy, I'm My Daddy by Daniel Wilcox. It was a double sided book (one half read from one side, and you flipped it over to read the other side) with characters from Sesame Street. I long ago misplaced my copy, but a few years ago my mother-in-law gave us several boxes filled with my husband's childhood books for our kids to read (we have two voracious readers). And, what do I find among the Amelia Bedelias, Mrs. Piggle Wiggles, and Nate the Greats, but I'm My Mommy, I'm My Daddy.

I am supposed to tag 7 random people, but I'm lazy, so if you're reading this and haven't done it already, consider yourself tagged...

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Ok, I'm going to have to check out Inkheart. I enjoyed the interview in your other post.

I cant really read more than one book at a time either. I have (and will) rarely but I dont like it. I can do it if one is non-fiction and the other is fiction, though.

I hear ya on the moving advice! Too bad I didnt think of that. Every time we move I get the "do we really need all these books" speech. Well, yes! Yes "we" do! ;o)

Thanks for posting these...they're so fun to read!!

Anonymous said...

I need to check out Inkheart, too. I can only read one book at a time and don't understand how people read several.