CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Book Review: Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White


ISBN: 978-0060554569
Publisher: Harper Collins
Paperback: 448 pages
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
First Line: What chance did Stephen Michael have of winning his Toss?
One Word Review: Exhilarating

Publisher's Description:

The wind and snow blow so hard, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Your heating fuel is nearly gone, and so is your food. How do you survive?

Five fourteen-year-olds face this desperate situation on a deadly journey in Antarctica. It is 2083. They are contestants on a reality TV show, Antarctic Survivor, which is set up to re-create Robert F. Scott's 1912 doomed attempt to be the first to reach the South Pole.

But in 2083 reality TV is not just an act. Contestants literally relive -- or die during -- the simulations of events. Robert Scott and his team were experienced explorers and scientists, but their attempt to reach the Pole proved fatal. What chance does the Antarctic Survivor team have?

I read the blurb for this book and thought it sounded really exciting and fun. It did not disappoint. The story is original and well-planned. The setting is perfect. I think there's a certain fascination with Antarctica that's hard to explain. The cast of characters complement each other really well.

The target audience for this book is the young adult market, but I think older tweens will really enjoy it as well. There is nothing in the content that would be inappropriate, and they should be able to comprehend everything. Adults who enjoy this type of adventure story will love this book as well. I know I did. My only complaint is that it ended too quickly. I wish the author had spent more time in the Antarctica parts of the book -I could easily have read another 100 pages or more describing their journey. I'd love to see a movie made from this book - it's the sort of story that lends itself well to film if done properly.

Book Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

Lana said...

Very nice review! I'm definitely intrigued now. Does it seem like there's a bunch of YA dystopian reality show novels coming out now? Maybe it's just the popularity of The Hunger Games that makes it seem that way.

MySharonAnne said...

This sounds really good. It kind of reminds me of The Hunger Games.

Traci said...

Surviving Antarctica was published in 2006, but I had never noticed it or heard anything about it until I saw it a few months ago on one of those "Summer Reading" tables at Barnes and Noble.

I haven't read The Hunger Games, but I love Suzanne Collins' Underland books, so I have a feeling I'll like it.

Wendi said...

Oh - one of the ladies in one of my book clubs LOVED this book!! It is on my wish list!! Great review.

:) Wendi
http://wendisbookcorner.blogspot.com

Lenore Appelhans said...

It's cool that you reviewed this even though it's not new. It's new to me!

Wendi said...

Hi Traci - I just won some PBS credits from Elizabeth on As Usual, I Need More Bookshelves! I'm going to use one to order this book - I'm SO excited - your review is great! :)

Tag - You're IT!!

You've just been tagged for the "7 Random Bookish Things Tag" at
Wendi's Book Corner
. Stop by to participate!

:) Wendi

Lana said...

I just wanted to let you know that I picked this one up because of your review, and I'm so glad that I did!

I linked to you here.