CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Stories


Today's Topic: If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?
Or, um, is it just me?


Nope, it's not just you. When I write reviews, I am quick to mention if the author was particularly adept at developing her characters or evoking a strong emotional attachment, but for me, it's really all about the story. I think it's the main reason I relate so well to children's literature. Generally, you find that most books geared toward kids are going to be focused on the tale they have to tell. If they're really exceptional, they'll have all that other stuff, too (I'm thinking J.K. Rowling, Cornelia Funke, and Kate DiCamillo). But, what draws me in and holds me til the very end isn't how this character has grown or that imagery made me want to weep. It's the gotta finish, gotta know what's going to happen, dang, I'm on the last page and I don't want it to be over kind of feelings I get from really good storytellers.

So, what do you look for in the books you read?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to have more than just what happens. I have to see a picture in my head. The characters need to make sense. If they don't, then I really don't care what happens. I usually don't finish the book.

SmilingSally said...

I love the way you got your point across: "I don't want it to be over kind of feeling."

Anonymous said...

I love being drawn in a good story, although it's not necessary. I find myself rationing when I'm stuck with a great read which I don't want it end. Believable characters are just as important as the plot.

caite said...

The story is all well and good, but I think it is the characters that really stay with me when I love a book.

awww....by the way, I tagged you for a meme ... at http://caitesdayatthebeach.blogspot.com/
;-)