CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson


ISBN: 978-0-385-52494-0
Publisher: Doubleday
Hardcover: 480 Pages
Genre: Fiction
First Line: Accidents ambush the unsuspecting, often violently, just like love. (Taken from an advanced release copy - possibly subject to change)
One Word Review: Prodigious
Tentative Release Date: August 5, 2008

I often feel as though I'm always a little bit late to the party. I'm rarely, if ever, the first to read books that become 'must-reads,' more often than not it'll be in paperback form before I ever pick it up. It's not by design on my part. It just seems to be the way things go. So, with The Gargoyle I've sort of felt rather privileged that I'm somewhat ahead of the reading pack, so to speak. Not to say that there hasn't already been much tongue-wagging over this amazing debut novel, but as it's still yet to be released, I'm allowing myself a small amount of pleasure over the fact that I will be the one saying, "You should read this book..." And I do mean, you should read this book.

On the face of it, it's hard to determine just what makes the tale so special. It's the story of an unfortunate young man who's been badly burned as a result of a horrific car accident. As he's biding his time in the hospital with thoughts of suicide, he encounters an unusual woman who claims to be his lover from a past life in fifteenth century Germany.

I would say The Gargoyle is a love story, but it doesn't really capture the full scope of the work. That, and I'd hate to turn anyone off based on the idea that it's anything remotely resembling a gooey mush-fest. It's anything but. It's moving and honest, and at times brutal. It's also nearly impossible to put down. What is most astonishing, in my opinion, is that this is Andrew Davidson's first novel. His writing style is compelling yet easy to read, his characters are well-written, and his attention to detail is amazing. He evokes images that are at times almost too much to witness. The Gargoyle is by far one of the best books I've read this year, and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe it was his first novel either. It is almost scary to think what he might be able to do next time, or the tiem after that.

Anonymous said...

Definately an awesome book. I've reviewed it, too. The more reviews and articles I read about this book, the more I'm convinced it's going to be released straight to the bestseller lists.

By the way, you've been tagged!

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed it! I loved it and haven't been able to stop talking about it. I agree with thekoolaidmom--it's going straight to bestsellers. Can't wait to see Andrew Davidson do some interviews--I have to hear this man speak!

Anonymous said...

This is the second positive review I have read of this book. Guess I am gonna have to peek between the pages too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm just reading it now, so you're certainly ahead of me. :) Only a quarter of the way in I think it's absolutely incredible. Wow.