CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Definition


What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

I've never really thought about it before. I guess for me it's someone who reads and enjoys books. I know there are comics and other forms of 'reading material', but in my mind, when someone describes themselves as a reader, I assume (yes, I know what that makes u and me) they mean they love books the way I do. Genre doesn't matter. It can be classic works of literature, or books of poetry, or science fiction, or children's books.

However, just the act of reading doesn't make a reader, in my opinion. You can read for a class, and get nothing from the experience short of a grade, but to be a reader, you do it because you want to and get some pleasure from it.

So, what is your definition of a "reader?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, reading for pleasure makes a reader. I'm also with you on the books thing, though I wouldn't tell a manga fan he's not a reader for it.

jlshall said...

I had a similar answer, so it's obvious I agree! Readers are people who love books. Just being able to read doesn't make someone a "reader."

SmilingSally said...

Yes, pleasure or joy is the difference!