CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks


The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks was disappointing. I really wanted to like this book - the plot seeming to have such potential. But, while it wasn't horribly awful, I can't say I enjoyed it. First of all, it's the first book in a trilogy. I didn't realize this until I was about 350 pages into the book (my copy didn't actually say anything about that on the cover, and I only realized it when I read an online review of the book - probably should have done that before I started reading). At that point, I didn't feel that involved in the story, but my compulsive need to finish a book I had invested that much time in left me wanting to see it through to the end. So, finding that it was just a first installment, I was a bit put off because I knew I wouldn't really get any closure at the end (I can't tell you how much I hate that), and I was fairly certain that I wouldn't be reading books 2 and 3 - having finished the book, I'm completely certain I won't. This book has been compared to The Matrix and Orwell's 1984. Although I can see where that comes from, it just didn't work for me. The story wasn't bad, exactly, but it was excruciatingly slow for most of the book. The meat of the book could easily have been pared down a couple hundred pages, and I think it would have been much improved. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read (far from it), but it wouldn't be high on my list of recommendations, either. I have a feeling it's one of those forgettable novels I'll find in a used book shop in a few years and think "Oh, that looks interesting...."

1 comments:

My Journey Through Reading... said...

I saw your post on LT and thought I would stop by. Thanks for the suggestion of e-mailing the contact on the ARC copies. I am going to give it a try on my next one. I have had no luck with the Harpers program. Take care!