CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

P.S. I Love You


Holly and Gerry had a 'perfect' life together. That perfect life got turned upside down when Gerry was diagnosed with a fatal brain tumor. Thus begins the story of love and loss depicted in P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern.
I probably would never have picked this book off the shelves were it not for the movie that was made from it. It looked like something I'd enjoy, so I decided to read the book first. It started out very strong - sweet and sad, with some really tender moments. And it finished pretty well, too. Somewhere in the middle, though, I started thinking that the film might possibly be better than the novel. It's not that anything happened or didn't happen to make it unenjoyable. It's more that there was so much shoved into the story that was fairly unnecessary. It easily could've been condensed by 100 pages and been just as good. That being said, it was still very well written - the characters were believable, the plot was pretty well-paced (just a bit wordy at times), and the ending was actually a bit of a surprise. All in all, I thought it was a very satisfying read. Now, I can watch the movie and see if they did it justice.

0 comments: